Location and direction sharing is often a highly wanted feature for many users. But do you know how to do it quickly and safely using Google Maps, the most popular navigation app? All you need to share your location is a Google Maps app on your and receiver’s devices and any messenger to forward the link. Below is a detailed guide on how to share locations and directions in 3 different ways.
1. Sharing a Fixed Location
Following these steps, you can generate a location link that will automatically redirect the receiver to the Google Maps app and display the selected location right away:
- Launch the Google Maps app on your iPhone or Android;
- Tap any market location you want to share or tap and hold to select an unmarked location for sharing;
- Now tap “Share” in a pop-up window;
- In the next window, you can either choose a receiver from your contact list, select them from the list of frequent contacts, or enter their name for quicker search;
- If you want to forward the link to a specific messenger, you need to tap “More” and select the needed app from the list of suggestions or your app library;
- Tap the needed app to enter it with a pre-pasted location link;
- Select “Copy” to manually transfer the link to another app;
- Select “Nearby Share” to send the link to one of the Android devices nearby. The feature is compatible with Chromebooks too.
2. Sharing Your Real-Time Location
If you need to share your real-time location with friends while on the move, you can also quickly share the following link with your friends. You can enable the link to work for a limited time to ensure that you’re not being followed when you don’t want to. Here’s what to do:
- Go to the Google Maps app;
- Tap on the profile icon in the top right corner;
- Select the “New Share” option;
- Adjust the timer to turn to track off automatically, or enable manual controls to disable the feature when needed. The timer can be set only in 1-hours increments, so the second option is usually more convenient;
- Now select the contacts you want to share the link with the same way you did to share a fixed location. Scroll right to see all the available contact bubbles;
- In the same window, you can choose an app where you want to share the link.
3. Sharing directions from A to B
Typing a massive list of directions in a messenger is a super-challenging and annoying task. Fortunately, Google Maps lets you share a directions link to guide your friends to any place. Here’s how to do it:
- Enter the Google Maps app again;
- Create directions from point A to point B as you normally do. On this step, make sure that you choose the transportation type as the route will normally be different for walkers, drivers, and public transport passengers. You can also create stops on the way to mark places of interest, best food points, or something else on the way;
- Tap the three dots icon in the top right corner and select “Share directions” there;
- All the phone contacts will be displayed in a pop-up window, but you can also select a specific app where you want to share the link. In both cases, the link will be posted automatically;
- You can also tap the link to copy it and share it manually in any app;
- To share the list with your friend’s Android newbie, tap the “Nearby Share” button for instant sharing.
Now you don’t need to worry about meeting your friends in the right spot or forgetting about the location of that new cafe downtown. Just do each type of sharing once and you will remember how to do it forever. Share this guide with friends on social media and feel free to ask any questions on the topic if needed. More useful guides and exciting news are on the way, so stay tuned!